[scribus] Stalking the wild 'RTL language support' in Scribus

Kunda Loves Scribus scribus.user at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 01:43:21 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Andreas Vox <avox at arcor.de> wrote:

> > From: Kunda Loves Scribus <scribus.user at gmail.com>
> > Subject: [scribus] Stalking the wild 'RTL language support' in Scribus
> >
> > Every so often - sometimes as a rumor, sometimes as a 'BTW', sometime as
> > patch - the issue of RTL support comes up on the ML or forums. To me
> these
> > are hopeful moments because this shows the necessity for the existence of
> > this, I'm told, feature. Yet it is obviously a complicated matter to
> > implement.
> >
> > The hope is that the challenges will be overcome. My limited
> comprehension
> > on this subject does grasp though that this RTL patch needs to
> > simultaneously respect and be built side by side with a ongoing current
> > Scribus infrastructure code change. This added complexity makes for more
> > time delays and possible diminishing enthusiasm.
> >
> > So I'm just wanting to say, whoever is working on RTL, please keep the
> > Scribus community updated. Make yourselves be known and post what your
> > challenges and milestones are. It's important.
> >
> > Thanks for everyone involved in this.
>
> Hi Kunda,
>
> I guess that would be me on the Scribus team. I'm currently sidetracked
> with
> refactoring the PDF code. After that I'll return to RTL + nonlatin scripts.
> As soon as I have the necessary infrastructure changes in place, I'll
> create a
> project on Github and ask for people to join the effort.
>
> /Andreas

Thank you Andreas. I appreciate your reply and work.

Just an idea: in my mind it would be awesome if we incorporated the
practice of hearing from the core-devs from time to time. Maybe on a blog
like rants.scribus.net ? I know that for example, MrB is oriented toward
diminishing the bug count on Mantis as well as putting the finishing
touches on a dedicated OSX bleeding edge nightly generator. Jghali has been
as well but I'm not sure the full orientation. It would be cool to get a
bi-weekly check-in with possible news. You could all send me news and I'd
be happy to post it.

Just planting seeds, seeing if they'd grow :)
Cheers,
/Kunda