[scribus] Using scribus to create PDFs from the commandline

Kunda Loves Scribus scribus.user at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 19:43:17 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 12:26 PM, Marc Balmer <marc at msys.ch> wrote:

> Currently we use LaTeX to produce PDF from the commandline (or rather,
> from within our applications).  We run a scrip that creates a LaTeX
> sourcefile, fires up latex, and returns the resulting PDF.
>
> I am now trying to find out if that would be possible with Scribus
> somehow.  E.g. we would fire up scribus with the name of a Python script
> and the name of document.  The script would then populate the document with
> data and output it to PDF.
>
> Is that possible?  Can we run a Python script at startup, or, can we run
> python and start Scribus from within?  Or, in other words, are there ways
> to automate Scribus without user interaction, i.e. from the commandline?

This would be a powerful feature. Auto-populating forms would be pretty
sweet, not without some work though. And Scribus is short on manpower.

There were some efforts that I've come across in the bug tracker:

http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=238
http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=967

These are 3 digit bugs so that means they've been around for a while :)
I also am no authority, so it would be nice to hear from others who know
better what possibilities there are in this context.

Cheers,
/Kunda