[scribus] Has anyone noticed

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Wed Feb 19 21:44:11 UTC 2014

On 19/02/2014 11:08, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:19:23PM -0600, C. Van Heyden wrote:

>> Has anyone noticed that Scribus. 1.4.1 tends to be sluggish in regards to
>> updating the Text Frame as well as omitting pages in the Story Editor while
>> adding and adding more "No Style" in the left panel in stacks in the  Story
>> Editor?
>
> Wow! Is that one sentence? To be honest, I find that difficult to parse.

:)   Get a better parser then. I thought it was straight forward enough.

I don't recognise the problem he identifies though.

>> I abandoned Word because of it's insane practice of discombobulating my
>> pages uon SAVING and screwing up the pagination when selecting even odd
>> headers, so this is just more of the same balderdash.
>
> Since Scribus is cross platform, that paragraph is meaningless.

I don't think so.

I too abandoned word under windows, and via Pagemaker and InDesign,
arrived at Scribus, still under windows. It doesn't matter a jot to me
that Sribus also works under OS/2 or whatever.

I understand why he'd abandon Word, and Open Office Write has some
layout pathologies too.

Re Scribus, there were releases a few years ago which had some very
unhelpful behaviours, and I guess we just worked around them because
Scribus has been well worth sticking with.

I can understand his disappointment though, when the tools you thought
would be better, turn out to have problems of their own. I do suggest
sticking with Scribus though, but of course it depends what he needs and
the problems he encounter.

If you can manage to see that, at least in the the way he's using
Scribus, there may be a real problem, that would be a good start.
Criticising the linguistic style is a great way of turning a blind eye
to the underlying message.

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore,MSc EDM (Open),B.A. Chem (Oxon),CMIOSH,CEnv,MIEMA,MEI
Reg. Office: Unit 1A Manners Court, Manners Avenue, Ilkeston. DE7 8EF

---