[scribus] Easier word wraparound and graphic images.

John Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Mon Dec 15 19:25:41 UTC 2014

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 10:35:29 -0500
John Culleton <John at wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> Today to get word wraparound of a graphic
> element requires the following steps:
> -----------------------------------
> 1. Put the graphic element on a layer higher
> than the text layer.
> 2. Make sure the layer containing the graphic
> has focus.
> 3. Make sure the graphic element has focus.
> 4. Hit the F2 key.
> 5. On the popup window select "use contour line"
> 6. In the upper right hand corner select "Edit"
> 7. On the next popup window select "Edit Contour
> Line"
> 8. (Optional) move the corners of the graphic
> around.
> 9.Select "End editing"
> 10. Check to make sure that the text actually
> flows around the graphic.
> ------------------------
> If your book has multiple graphics this sequence
> becomes a bore. I recommend that the default
> value of any graphic frame be to have
> text on underlying layers flow around the
> superimposed graphic frame. For those who
> want to use other configurations steps 2.
> through 10. would still be available. But for
> the usual case text wraparound using the
> contour line would be the default. If there was
> no underlying text no harm would be done.
>
> For those of us who insert multiple graphic
> frames, and who may want to move them around
> etc. for various layout alternatives
> the default of text wraparound would be a great
> time saver. No harm would be done for those who
> want to select different options.
>
> There is another option, of interrupting the
> text frame and starting it again after the
> graphic frame but that causes other problems.

The only guidance I could find on the Wiki deals
with contour lines. That is the guidance I was
using. But in the usual case, a rectangular
graphic, the editing steps can be eliminated.
The printed manual covers this more common
situation. But the question of padding is still
there. So the ultimate solution from the user's
point of view is a default of:  first,
automatic word wrap and second a default padding
of e.g., .125 inch or its near equivalent. Stop
gaps and work-arounds with scripts etc. are
welcome but dodge the main issue: what is easiest
for the user who is putting maybe dozens of
graphics in a book?

Of course the developers are also users, but not
everybody has the same user experience.

In Ireland they had a path near a dangerous cliff
with no warning sign. When a tourist pointed out
this lack the reply was that there used to be a
sign, but no one fell off the cliff so the
consensus was that the sign was no longer needed.

This story is of course a myth but some of the
same thinking seems to be sneaking into the
development of Scribus. I read a post from years
ago stating that since word wrap around was not
the commonest case (a questionable assertion)
it used to be the default but was removed.  But
what harm did it do?

Similarly in earlier versions of Scribus while
composing using the Story Editor if the author
encountered a situation where an additional
style was needed it it was simple to get to the
Style Editor from within the Story Editor,
create the style, exit the Style Editor and
automatically return to the Story Editor at the
same spot. But what was easy to create in
earlier Scribus versions became very difficult
in more recent versions, and besides, "the story
editor needed a complete overhaul" or so it was
stated.

I am not current enough to be useful as a
developer but I can be a spokesman for Joe or
Jane user. If we could have word wrap around
graphics as the default in earlier versions
then it should be considered for
implementation today.  If we could
have access to the Style Editor without
exiting the  in the Story Editor before then it
would make sense to me to have this access to it
today.

For your consideration.

--
John Culleton