[scribus] Easier word wraparound and graphic images.

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Mon Dec 15 15:55:55 UTC 2014

Am 15.12.2014 07:33, schrieb Peter Nermander:
>> 1. Put the graphic element on a layer higher than
>> the text layer.
>> 2. Make sure the layer containing the graphic has
>> focus.
>> 3. Make sure the graphic element has focus.
>> 4. Hit the F2 key.
>> 5. On the popup window select "use contour line"
>> 6. In the upper right hand corner select "Edit"
>> 7. On the next popup window select "Edit Contour
>> Line"
>> 8. (Optional) move the corners of the graphic
>> around.
>> 9.Select "End editing"
>> 10. Check to make sure that the text actually
>> flows around the graphic.
>>

> I think you are getting things wrong here.
>
> First, the graphic does not have to ba on a separate layer, it's the LEVEL
> that has to be above the text frame. Thus "bring to top" is what's needed
> if the graphic frame is not already on top, but if the image frame was
> created after the text frame it is usually already above the text frame.
>
> Second, if you don't want to use the contour line you don't have to edit
> it. The default is (if I recall correct) to use the image frame shape. If
> you DO want to use the contour line, it's obvious you will have to edit it.
> Scribus can not know the shape of the image.
>
> So all that has to be done is:
>
> 1. Move the image fram one top of the text frame.
> 2. Select "Text flow around frame->Use frame shape" for the image frame.
>
> Note also that of course you can have text flow around other frames than
> image frames.

Using the image frame's boundaries is rarely useful for me as there is
no distance left between the left/right border of the image and the
characters of text. A "keep automatic distance" value for any new frame
would be extremely useful.

The way it is now, I always have to make up another frame that is
slightly bigger than the image frame, set it behind the image frame,
combine them to an object and then set the text flow option. On the
other hand, using a contour line would be way too roundabout in most cases.

Regards
Rolf