[scribus] Easier word wraparound and graphic images.

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat Dec 13 16:58:20 UTC 2014

On 12/13/2014 10:35 AM, John Culleton wrote:
> Today to get word wraparound of a graphic element
> requires the following steps:
> -----------------------------------
> 1. Put the graphic element on a layer higher than
> the text layer.
> 2. Make sure the layer containing the graphic has
> focus.
> 3. Make sure the graphic element has focus.
> 4. Hit the F2 key.
> 5. On the popup window select "use contour line"
> 6. In the upper right hand corner select "Edit"
> 7. On the next popup window select "Edit Contour
> Line"
> 8. (Optional) move the corners of the graphic
> around.
> 9.Select "End editing"
> 10. Check to make sure that the text actually
> flows around the graphic.
> ------------------------
> If your book has multiple graphics this sequence
> becomes a bore. I recommend that the default
> value of any graphic frame be to have
> text on underlying layers flow around the
> superimposed graphic frame. For those who
> want to use other configurations steps 2.
> through 10. would still be available. But for the
> usual case text wraparound using the contour line
> would be the default. If there was no underlying
> text no harm would be done.
>
> For those of us who insert multiple graphic
> frames, and who may want to move them around
> etc. for various layout alternatives
> the default of text wraparound would be a great
> time saver. No harm would be done for those who
> want to select different options.

I guess my suggestion would be to have this as an item in the context
menu - Text Flow Around Frame > Use Frame Shape/Use Bounding Box/Use
Contour Line (submenu options).

If so, it should be there for all objects, not just image frames.

In the meantime, you can make a very short script that uses the command
textFlowMode().

The meat of it would be:

framename = scribus.getSelectedObject()
scribus.textFlowMode(framename, 2)  # state of 2 selects for flow around
contour line

Greg
Greg