[scribus] A strange font problem.

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Sat Aug 23 20:01:15 UTC 2014

On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 11:23:36 -0700
Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:

> On 08/23/2014 10:59 AM, john Culleton wrote:
> > In a foolish moment I deleted a gaggle of
> > Middle Eastern fonts
> > from /usr/share/fonts/OTF. Somehow someway my
> > XFCE GUI started showing nothing but square
> > boxes where a character should be.
>
> Did you just delete them, or did you uninstall
> them?  If you simply deleted the files, this
> may be part of the issue.  Check with whatever
> community support is available for your Linux
> distro and find out what's needed to get things
> back in sync.  Then, if Scribus still isn't
> doing things right, let us know and somebody
> will probably be able to help you.

I use Slackware 14.1. the fonts I need are a
mixture of fonts that were lodaed with the system
plus some like Minion Pro, Myriad Pro, Adobe
Garamond that I added in myself off the internet.

When I got rid of some fonts earlier I just
deleted them. These are fonts that come with
Scribus AFAICT, like the ones that begin with
Syr*. Since I download Scribus 1.4.X and 1.5.0
every night by svn every night these fonts
reappear in /usr/share/fonts/OTF anyhow so
deleting them was a waste of time. But I can
live with those. It is the others, in the same
directory and with the same ownership and the same
permissions, that Scribus cannot see. Inkscape
0.91pre2 sees all of them without any problem.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press