[scribus] A strange font problem.

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Sat Aug 23 17:59:25 UTC 2014

In a foolish moment I deleted a gaggle of Middle
Eastern fonts from /usr/share/fonts/OTF. Somehow
someway my XFCE GUI started showing nothing but
square boxes where a character should be. After
much sturm und drang I got the GUI to show text
again. And Inkscape finds all the fonts on my
system, no problem, even the recently added ones.

But Scribus for some reason finds only those
unwanted (by me) Middle Eastern fonts, Syr this
And Estrangelo that. It can't find all the
others such as Minion, and Myriad and Garamond,
even if they are in the same OTF directory and
have 666 permissions.

I have added specific font paths to Scribus, such
as /usr/share/fonts/OTF
and /usr/share/fonts/ttf
and /usr/share/fonts/Type1

But the only ones that show up in Scribus 1.4.5
and 1.5.0 are the ones I don't want.

I have tried running fc-cache and so on. I have
a /home/username/.cache/fontconfig
file but it seems to be filled with binary
data with the names of the wanted fonts
appearing every now and then.

So how do I get Scribus of any flavor to play
nicely with my fonts? I know it's all my fault. I
just want a path to recovery.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press