[scribus] Photobook: export PDF in sRGB, color conversion

b-misc at gmx.ch b-misc at gmx.ch
Sat Apr 26 14:32:33 UTC 2014

On Friday 25 April 2014 08.09:04 Sveinn í Felli wrote:
> Þann fös 25.apr 2014 05:01, skrifaði b-misc at gmx.ch:
> >> Under the Color tab in PDF Export, choose Output
> >> Intended for: Screen/Web since you printer wants RGB.

> > Thanks. Just to be sure and get it completely right: I
> > leave color management enabled or should I disable it?
> > Which PDF version should I use, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 or X3 (it
> > is a simple photobook just with images and a bit of
> > text)?
> >
> > Bernd
>
> Leave the CM on, it helps visualizing the contents
> especially if you have a decently calibrated monitor.
>
> I've done several "photobooks" with Scribus; some of them
> had all kinds of mixed graphics (old scans, diapositives,
> various types of CGI, jpeg's and other digital sources).
> Color managed monitor is totally necessary to spot and
> handle differences in those.
> Most printers ask for just RGB, occasionally some ask for a
> specific RGB-profile (e.g. AdobeRGB1998, WideGamutRGB or
> ECI-RGB-v1.0), but they should manage to convert plain sRGB
> into their workflow.
> In my case I've used PDF 1.5 without problems. If you search
> the archives of this list you'll see that some printers ask
> for specific formats (e.g. LSI wants PDF
> X/1-a:2001 which has been until now only available with the
> 1.5.0 SVN-version of Scribus).
>
> This is not the first time the labels "Output
> intended for Screen/Web" vs "Output
> intended for Printer" cause slight confusion for users;
> guess we haven't come up with something more descriptive.
> But the last time I checked the manual/wiki explained this
> quite nicely.
>
> Best regards
> Sveinn í Felli

Thank you so much for your reply!

Before asking here on the mailing list I sent two sample files two my printer,
the first with the Screen/Web setting, the second  with the Printer setting as
I mentioned here with my first post.

In the meantime he came back saying that the Screen/Web file does not include a
color profile and that I should not use it; the other one seems to be correct
for him.

For me your answer seems to make very much sense, but is it possible to
include a sRGB profile when I export with the Screen/Web setting?

Thank you again and best regards
Bernd