[scribus] Photobook: export PDF in sRGB, color conversion

Sveinn í Felli sv1 at fellsnet.is
Fri Apr 25 08:09:04 UTC 2014

Þann fös 25.apr 2014 05:01, skrifaði b-misc at gmx.ch:
>> Under the Color tab in PDF Export, choose Output
>> Intended for: Screen/Web since you printer wants RGB.
>>>
>>> Greg
> Thanks. Just to be sure and get it completely right: I
> leave color management enabled or should I disable it?
> Which PDF version should I use, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 or X3 (it
> is a simple photobook just with images and a bit of
> text)?
>
> Bernd

Leave the CM on, it helps visualizing the contents
especially if you have a decently calibrated monitor.

I've done several "photobooks" with Scribus; some of them
had all kinds of mixed graphics (old scans, diapositives,
various types of CGI, jpeg's and other digital sources).
Color managed monitor is totally necessary to spot and
handle differences in those.
Most printers ask for just RGB, occasionally some ask for a
specific RGB-profile (e.g. AdobeRGB1998, WideGamutRGB or
ECI-RGB-v1.0), but they should manage to convert plain sRGB
into their workflow.
In my case I've used PDF 1.5 without problems. If you search
the archives of this list you'll see that some printers ask
for specific formats (e.g. LSI wants PDF
X/1-a:2001 which has been until now only available with the
1.5.0 SVN-version of Scribus).

This is not the first time the labels "Output
intended for Screen/Web" vs "Output
intended for Printer" cause slight confusion for users;
guess we haven't come up with something more descriptive.
But the last time I checked the manual/wiki explained this
quite nicely.

Best regards
Sveinn í Felli