[scribus] joy with Scribus 150 SVN

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Tue Apr 15 16:29:43 UTC 2014

Dear list,

a while ago, our internet got much much faster (we are working in rural
West Africa) and at last I have got an up-to-date OpenSuse (13.1).

Today at 11-49h local time I have compiled and installed my first ever
program under Linux! I am using Linux since 2004 but have mainly focused
on programs and output, not much on the system, so this was a milestone.
Guess what, I did the latest Scribus SVN according to the very helpful
writeup here:

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Building_SVN_versions_with_CMake

There was just one package slightly miss-named, so that I could not find
it. I have finally found it and have corrected the Wiki page, maybe some
veteran might check if I did it right.

I will probably later share some questions and observations.

But today I first of all want to compliment and thank the developers!!!

On this list I have been reading about SVN for months and could never
even have a look. Now I got the very latest on my machine:

- It looks very much like my 1.4.3 so I was almost disappointed (there
was much talk about new stuff), but not really, since it means I can
keep working like before.

- I had a look around and there are many details which are very nice. I
like the drop-shadow tool, having tried to do my own manually once.

- I very much like the details that new texts can be more freely
pre-configured under preferences: We have standardized font-size 16pt
for most of our printed documents and that size was never available in
present versions. (Not many people here have the glasses which they
would need for their eyes, so we are printing rather big.)

Any other OpenSuse users on this list? Right now I am exited (but always
busy) and maybe I could (or should) update this page

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/OpenSuse

concerning the SVN options available for OpenSuse 13.1. (Because having
just managed to compile, I got bold and started researching how to make
a package from it and found that (only for 13.1) there are SVN packages
being offered regularly.)

Maybe there is a real docu-team out there and I do not want to step on
any toes, especially since I cannot commit to any regular volunteer
work. I just like to write up, if I find something useful, to help others.

greetings and thanks again
and now really looking forward to 1.6 for our entire office

Martin

--
ZASKE Martin
responsable GʊGʊ