[scribus] BUG: open 1.4.n file in 1.5.svn loses contour line and text reflows.

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Mon Apr 7 12:57:08 UTC 2014

On 04/07/2014 08:13 AM, Peter Nermander wrote:
>> I did not notice the change at first, as I had *assumed* the two versions
>> of
>> the same program would not behave differently, and sent the file to the
>>
> That's not a very good assumption to do. What if an older version of a
> program has a bug affecting how the final result looks? Should the
> developers leave that bug in place to make sure older documents don't
> change? I think it's better they fix the bug, even if it means it will
> "break" a lot of older documents.

Sometimes, it's not necessarily a bug, per se, but what we have seen is
some alteration or tweaking of how text frames handle text, which can
affect how much text fits into a frame and perhaps line breaks.

This having been said, it might be conceivable to adjust various
settings in Advanced Settings, such as word tracking to try to compensate.

There is some news coming out of LGM, which should be seen more
officially soon, that there are now plans to come out with an "official
unstable" 1.5.0 in a couple of months or so, which will allow more users
to have access to it, especially those who do not compile Scribus. As
the designation implies, it will be understood that not all features in
1.5.0 will be fully operational and free from bugs, but it will allow
more widespread access to things like export to PDFX-1a. With some
caution, it may allow some to do their primary work in 1.5.0 to avoid
problems as described here.

Greg