[scribus] Some clarifications regarding Pantone [was: making your own Pantone color list]

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Thu Sep 26 07:02:56 UTC 2013

> Well... according to you, pretty much none of the palettes provided with
> Scribus are of any practical use...

Not true. Some of the palettes are available only in RGB. That's fine, because Scribus provides pretty good colour management.

> I wonder why they are there... CMYK
> numbers aren't any closer to actual color if they aren't refered to a color
> profile...

That's only true if people are working in a fully colour-managed environment, which is, unfortunately, often not the case. Even worse, many professional designers are completly unaware of colour issues and rely on fixed CMYK values. Moreover, in most commercial graphics programs you only get to see spot, RGB and CMYK, not the least in Adobe products. Also, we mustn't forget that "RGB" only works these days because of a silent agreement between software and hardware vendors. This agreement has a name: sRGB, which is actually  an ICC profile.

> Talking about the Pantone ones, the X-Ref tool <
> http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/color_xref.aspx> provides data in
> L*a*b* , sRGB and (when applicable) CMYK, i.e. the same values as in
> Adobe's palettes. So the only limitation is in Scribus which is unable to
> deal with L*a*b* colors.

I stand corrected. Scribus needs to support L*a*b* palettes. Message received :)

Christoph