[scribus] making your own Pantone color list

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Mon Sep 23 13:23:36 UTC 2013

On 09/23/2013 07:50 AM, William Adams wrote:
> On Sep 20, 2013, at 12:57 PM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
>
>> I think there is
>> also the principle that someone using a Pantone spot color in Scribus is
>> a direct benefit to Pantone. We're not supplying free swatchbooks or
>> other things Pantone has for sale, so what's their issue?
>
> Their issue is that they assert ownership over those numbers as a collection, and control over the usage of ``PANTONE'' as a trademark.

But there is absurdity here. "ownership over those numbers" -- what?
They don't want anyone to use these numbers? Even if we tack on "as a
collection" -- still absurd for a company who purports to be selling
color-matched inks. As far as "control over the usage of PANTONE", this
is a public, commercial company. They can't control every mention of
their company's name.

In the meantime, we are just trying to help users who wish to specify
Pantone ink in spite of any thoughts we have about their attitude.

Greg