[scribus] making your own Pantone color list

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon Sep 23 11:50:31 UTC 2013

On Sep 20, 2013, at 12:57 PM, Gregory Pittman wrote:

> I think there is
> also the principle that someone using a Pantone spot color in Scribus is
> a direct benefit to Pantone. We're not supplying free swatchbooks or
> other things Pantone has for sale, so what's their issue?

Their issue is that they assert ownership over those numbers as a collection, and control over the usage of ``PANTONE'' as a trademark.

``I think'' does not equal legal advice and is not a protection in court.

Glad to learn that GCMI is already present.

On Sep 21, 2013, at 3:41 AM, Christoph Schäfer wrote:

> As to Pantone's request for fees for digital colour palettes: One day, corporate greed will be replaced by pragmatism, and there are many alternatives to Pantone, some of which are already part of Scribus.

Agreed.

On Sep 22, 2013, at 3:12 AM, Christoph Schäfer wrote:

> This is some sort of a clever hack that uses a particular Pantone online repo for mobile apps, but it doesn't actually suit our users' requirements, and it's at best condoned by X-Rite. Moreover, there's a reason for not including this script in Scribus: We can't afford to be sued by X-Rite for copyright and/or trademark abuse.

Which was the gist of my initial post.

William

--
William Adams