[scribus] how do I strip out unwanted overriding of paragraph styles?

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Tue Sep 3 08:16:21 UTC 2013

Am 03.09.2013 09:48, schrieb Joe Zeff:
> On 09/03/2013 12:28 AM, Staffan Melin (Oscillator) wrote:
>> I also do not recommend importing ODT (see "ODT (LibreOffice) import
>> doesn't work" on my resource page
>> http://libregraphicsproduction.com/tool/scribus).
>
> In the words of Dr. Terwilliger, "I, on the other hand, am inclined to
> think differently."  You see, I create my weekly contribution to a local
> APA in LibreOffice, import it into Scribus, apply the appropriate styles
> and export it as a .pdf to be emailed to a friend who prints it for me.
>   Works just fine.  Never had the slightest problems with it.

And so am I ;-)

 From my point of understanding, the reason is less a stripping of hard
formats from imports but a general one. When I am in Scribus' text
editor and set some words to bold, for instance, this formatting will be
deleted as soon as I will choose another paragraph style for this paragraph.

When I import something, text is imported and then some paragraph style
applied. This would delete any hard formattings that might have been
imported (though I don't know if it imports them anyway).

The problem seems to be the way Scribus handles formatting text: it
stores the name of the font files used rather than just storing "bold",
"italics" or whatever ON TOP of any font file. When another paragraph
style is applied, the name of the basic font file for this style is
replaced, and so are the formattings.

This can be somewhat nerv-racking when you have a paragraph full of
bolds, italics and stuff, and then have to change the paragraph style,
causing all formattings to disappear.

Regards
Rolf