[scribus] Scribus cloud service?

Jan Schrewe jschrewe at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 02:55:47 UTC 2013

You're right. For such a cloud service a simpler version could probably be
enough. And I really have no idea what QT already provides in that regard.
That was just a guess because HTTP is just about everywhere and web
services and APIs are still the hot topic of the month in web apps. And
REST is the preferred way to interact with web APIs, so if you want
versatility it's probably a good idea to use it.

But since just about every organisation that deals with content needs some
form of CMS it would open quite a few possibilities for scribus to
integrate into already existing workflows. Think about product catalogs
where a printed version is done once and a year and a webshop exists too.
Or news papers/magazines that will have some form of CMS in place and pull
content from there for print and web use.

Having a versatile way to integrate into such rather complex environments
through software and not through a lot of fiddly work by humans would
probably be a huge plus for scribus in general and might make it more
appealing for enterprise use.

But I also think that getting the treatment of the data right is actually
hard and would need quite a bit of experimentation. Also note that you're
certainly not done with storing just the scribus (XML) document, because a
typical document also needs fonts and images and whatever kind of asset
scribus can already use that is not embeddable into the XML.