[scribus] pattern for bloodshot eyes.

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Fri Nov 15 12:54:27 UTC 2013

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 10:10:28 -0500
Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:

> On 11/14/2013 09:44 AM, john Culleton wrote:
> > I can create a picture of an eye pretty easily, using an oval
> > for the shape, a doughnut shape for the iris, and a black
> > circle filling the hole for the pupil. Now i want to add a
> > few bloodshot red lines just for realism. I want to create a
> > drawing and not a photo. I searched for a pattern on the web
> > but did not see what I wanted. Anyone have any suggestions
> > for this effect, working only within Scibus 1.4.3?
> >

> This is my candidate for being in the Top 10 of unusual
> questions for the Scribus mail list.
>
> Anyway, if you google "bloodshot eye", then choose Images,
> what you see is quite a range of appearance, both with actual
> photographs and drawings (I like the cupcake design for its
> creativity -
> http://www.jasonandshawnda.com/foodiebride/archives/545/ ).
>
> My sense is that you don't want anything too realistic, i.e.,
> trying to emulate a photograph, but actually just picking some
> drawing of a prototypical bloodshot eye and imitating it.
>
> Something I have done before is to download an image, put it
> in an image frame, then trace over it with freehand lines. To
> save time, I might consider making some families of these
> little spare tree structures, then flipping, rotating, and
> distorting them to flesh out a number of different little red
> trees without having to create all from scratch.
>
> Greg

A fractal would do it but that is a tedious process and I want
to use Scribus only (the target is the cover for a perfect
bound update to my ebook listed below.) My tentative title is

Catch Their Eye: About Book Cover Design using Scribus.

The text before the colon is the large text with the eye illo
strategically placed.

I have downloaded a lightning strike jpg and may trace that
following your suggested technique.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press