[scribus] pattern for bloodshot eyes.

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Nov 14 15:10:28 UTC 2013

On 11/14/2013 09:44 AM, john Culleton wrote:
> I can create a picture of an eye pretty easily, using an oval
> for the shape, a doughnut shape for the iris, and a black circle
> filling the hole for the pupil. Now i want to add a few
> bloodshot red lines just for realism. I want to create a drawing
> and not a photo. I searched for a pattern on the web but did not
> see what I wanted. Anyone have any suggestions for this effect,
> working only within Scibus 1.4.3?

This is my candidate for being in the Top 10 of unusual questions for
the Scribus mail list.

Anyway, if you google "bloodshot eye", then choose Images, what you see
is quite a range of appearance, both with actual photographs and
drawings (I like the cupcake design for its creativity -
http://www.jasonandshawnda.com/foodiebride/archives/545/ ).

My sense is that you don't want anything too realistic, i.e., trying to
emulate a photograph, but actually just picking some drawing of a
prototypical bloodshot eye and imitating it.

Something I have done before is to download an image, put it in an image
frame, then trace over it with freehand lines. To save time, I might
consider making some families of these little spare tree structures,
then flipping, rotating, and distorting them to flesh out a number of
different little red trees without having to create all from scratch.

Greg