[scribus] I'm trying to make a bilingual dictionary - [was: Making a catalog

Dale Erwin dale at casaerwin.org
Sat May 18 20:48:04 UTC 2013

This will be my first experience with Scribus, and I don't know what
linked text frames are.  But I do know that there will be no images, no
photos, just text... with the possible exception of the cover.  Isn't
the cover usually a separate document?

That reminds me, I did use Scribus once before a couple of years ago to
make a cover for my last book.

And that reminds me of another question I need to ask:  I used Lulu
Press for my last book, and they required that all PDF files have all
fonts embedded in them.  My first set was refused because of that.  I
have some software called PDF Creator that will concatenate PDF files
together, but it doesn't seem to do the font embedding required by
Lulu.  OpenOffice will do the embedding but it doesn't do the
concatenations.  Is there any open source PDF software that will do what
I need?

I can also get the entire document in one file with OO (eliminating the
need for concatenations) but I can't get a header that will change on
every page.  I could use the first regular text line for that header,
but then, if I ever have to insert a new word, the entire chapter has to
be manually reformatted from that point on.  That's why I was hoping to
be able to use Scribus.

Dale Erwin
Jr. 28 de Julio 657, Depto. 03
Magdalena del Mar, Lima 17 PERU