[scribus] New Reader Impressions

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri May 10 14:50:20 UTC 2013

On 05/10/2013 08:06 AM, Sharon Villines wrote:
> I just joined this list in preparation for my version of InDesign to become obsolete. I've looked at Scribus and find that it will require a period of learning that I'm not yet willing to do. By reading this list I thought I might become more attached to the open source effort and pick up some and learn a bit here  and there so it won't be so hard later.
>
> In visiting the website to join and clicking through to various information sites, I am struck by the low level of design quality. The websites look like throw backs to the 1990s. Is this intentional?  When it is not up to industry standards it doesn't convince me of the capabilities of the software. In graphic design, the book is judged by the cover. Artists not only adopt software they join an aesthetic. Adobe is an example.

As someone who at least has a hand in the website content (wiki), I
would hate to have us spending a lot of time on the website as opposed
to making Scribus itself better and easier to use.

The wiki contains mostly supplemental material, and some of it quite
dated, so I wouldn't rely on that. The manual which is included with
Scribus has reasonably up to date help.

It's good that you are not pressed to suddenly need to use Scribus, so
that you have time to begin to get a sense of how it works versus
InDesign or whatever, as well as ask questions when you can't find
something you need.

I think we have an opportunity to take Scribus to a larger user
community, provided they help us improve what we're doing.

Greg