[scribus] Collective noun for Scribus and other free (not as in beer) graphics software ?

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Fri Jun 14 12:43:38 UTC 2013

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 12:05:19 -0400
Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:

> On 06/13/2013 11:13 AM, John Beardmore wrote:
> > Is there a collective noun for Gimp, Inkscape, Scribus etc ?
> >
> > If so, are any other packages generally taken to be part of the same
> > 'family' ?
> >
> > I thought I'd heard the phrase Libra Graphics Stack mentioned
> > somewhere, but that doesn't throw up much promising material when I
> > google it. Did
>
> try Libre Graphics, as in Libre Graphics Meeting
>
> Greg

I just refer to Open Source software and leave it at that. OS DTP
and/or OS graphics software are subsets of that. Scribus has a foot in
both these subsets.

Libre has been used to denote a particular suite of software that
imitates the functionality of Microsoft Office (TM). It is a
newer version and successor to Open Office software. Broadening the use
of the term Libre just subtracts meaning from the term.

And we have learned from the crashing lack of success of KDE4 that
trying to stuff all app software into one knapsack causes much trouble
for the users. For example Quanta Plus, once a very useful web design
tool has been abandoned and an all purpose boy scout knife IDE has been
given that name in its place. Anyone who fires up that program called
Quanta and expects the clean functionality and ease of use of the
original Quanta Plus program will be sorely disappointed.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press