[scribus] a) page numbering b)?bug inserting " character changes para style

Vladimir Savic vladimir.firefly.savic at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 14:55:45 UTC 2013

On 01/25/2013 12:08 AM, Jerry Halberstadt wrote:
> Page numbering.
>
> I set up sections for roman and arabic numbers for front matter/book.
>
> On the master page I created a text frame and inserted a #. Clearly this
> is not the way to enter the variable, because in the regular page I get
> a # rather than a numeral. what is correct method to do page numbering?
> Where do I find the variable character?

You need to insert special character that has in-frame representation of
#. You can find it in Insert menu->Character->Page Number.

> Insert double quote character changes style of paragraph!
>
> When I insert a double quote (left or right) into text in a paragraph
> that has been formatted, sometimes the format changes. For example, from
> "default para" to "first para" or vice versa. Only visual difference in
> the two para styles is "first" has a two-line first letter hanging
> indent, so it is easy to spot the change.
>
> Is it a bug? a feature? or something I should do differently?

It's one of most annoying features of scribus. At least for me. Whenever
you paste text into text frame, it'll carry its own style with itself.
It'd be very nice to have an option to paste raw text into existing
preformated frame. So, yes, behaviour you are experiencing is there by
design, but I don't like it at all.

> By the way, it is truly tedious to have to open every  text frame, scan
> for the straight quotes, and then manualy "insert:quote:double right".
> Again, if there is a better way, please advise.

You can try Search&Replace dialog, but it's restricted to one frame
only, IIRC.