[scribus] An idea about fonts

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Tue Feb 26 16:22:23 UTC 2013

In my work with Scribus, there are frequently texts from other people
from word processors which are hardly formatted. Some words in italics,
some bold, you will know that.

The fonts in Scribus are shown as their actual files, i. e. "Regular",
"Bold", "Italics" etc.

What do you think about a way of defining somewhere the usual "Bold",
"Italics" etc. for a font, like a bracket that keeps the files of one
family together under one name.

I could imagine a simple function offering the four "usual" forms and a
a simple way of defining the font family name and which file is intended
to belong to each shape. From then on, each shape would be accessible by
a common keystroke like "Ctrl+B" or so, maybe even that could be
definable somewhere (else?).

If we go further, we could even introduce finer steps like "half bold",
"full bold" and their shortcuts, or whatever the user needs. If someone
has a font family which is often used and which offers several shapes
with fine steps from "Thin" to "Ultra Bold", he might define himself a
number of shortcuts to call them (instead of having to choose them from
the list each time).

What do you think?

Rolf