[scribus] Windows opening unreachable off the main monitor

Doug Steele doug at dougsteele.org
Sat Feb 9 02:33:32 UTC 2013

I have been mostly use Scribus with two monitors, but sometimes I use
it with no external monitor.  If I have closed Scribus while any of
the following windows are completely on the external monitor, the
next time I open Scribus, some of those windows are located on the
external monitor as if it were located to the right of the monitor.
The windows in question are the Main Document window and the Style
manager. The Story Editor opens in the external monitor located where
it really is, even if it is to the left of the internal monitor.

After probing around, I found a method to restore those windows to
the main monitor. I am running Scribus 1.4.1 on Window-7 Pro on a
laptop. A procedure that works for me is the following, which is
basically to reset the x position to a location near the left edge of
the internal monitor:

Go to: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Scribus\

Edit scribus140.rc Line 613
	<MAINWINDOW WIDTH="784" MAXIMIZED="0" HEIGHT="633" YPOS="124" XPOS="435"/>
	Set XPOS="0"

	Edit scribus140.rc Style Manager
	<context name="styleManager">
	Set <attribute key="InitX" value="60"/>

Edit scribus140.rc Storey Editor
	<context name="StoryEditor">
	Set <attribute key="left" value="0"/>

Next time you open Scribus
	Close the Style Manager, if open
	Click F3 a few  time to open and close it

It may be that this problem has already been fixed in a future release.

long-term, I think the best approach is to have these windows always
open in the main monitor and not on an external one, which might be
located to the left of the main monitor or may not even be present.

Doug