[scribus] What is Glyphenstauchung?

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Thu Dec 19 09:18:03 UTC 2013

Sorry Christoph and developers,

I did not want to make it sound in a negative way. Like you say, it is
about "filling lines optimally".

We would need to ask a font developer what he or she thinks about
"modifying their characters" for the purpose of layout.

I remember years ago about layout books having nasty things to say about
those consumer-level pseudo-italics tools which would alter characters
in a rather non-so-subtle way... Now stretching laterally or slimming
will depend on the character. Guess a hyphen will cope better than an "o".

I often tell people with conviction that Scribus gives the layouter
"total" control over what happens on the page; in contrast to Word which
people know and which tends to want "to know better" than the user. So I
do appreciate all the tools available. Each user will know what suits
his or her audience.

So again, no offence was meant. I hope Rolf can use it for whatever he
has going at the moment,

Martin