[scribus] collecting for output

Sveinn í Felli sveinki at nett.is
Tue Dec 10 14:01:54 UTC 2013

Þann þri 10.des 2013 13:44, skrifaði Gregory Pittman:
> On 12/10/2013 06:21 AM, Craig Bradney wrote:

>>> Whether it is a standard or not, it's a bad thing to restrict the permission to the user only.
>>
>> No, it's called security and this is most important of all.
>>>
>>> The user ou creates the output is not the creator of the images
>>> or of the fonts or of color profiles,
>>> Why should the collected_for_output items have different rights
>>> than the original ones,
>>> and differents rights than the "collect-for-output" created SLA itself ?
>>

>> Well exactly! Have the files set correctly originally, then Scribus should not be changing them.
>>>
>>> Whatever the uncommon reason for this - if there is one -,
>>> it is much more important to allow cooperative work,
>>> and to allow to share documents amongst the group.
>>>

>> Again, security control should be the highest concern. If there's a change of permissions by Scribus then we need to fix that but it should not be opening up security permissions, the folders and files should be correct already.
>>

> I'm not sure if I understand everything in this lengthy thread, but one
> thing that doesn't  make sense from an operational point of view is to
> be repeatedly rewriting image files. These should be static files that
> don't need to be rewritten each time you save a work in progress.
>
> Perhaps just updating the SLA file is all that needs to be done with
> most edits.
>
> Greg

I'd think that most/many users would expect such permissions
to be set on OS-level, not via each application. If I save
the outuput to a shared folder I expect the resulting files
to be shared, and if I save output to a private folder,
well, it should be private.

Regards,
Sveinn í Felli