[scribus] question

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Sat Aug 24 06:02:45 UTC 2013

> Gesendet: Samstag, 24. August 2013 um 04:21 Uhr
> Von: "Hans Schmidt" <z0idberg at gmx.de>
> An: scribus at lists.scribus.net
> Betreff: Re: [scribus] question
>
> Am 24.08.2013 01:00, schrieb Gregory Pittman:
> > Something that could be done would be to create a .zip file from a
> > directory and its contents, and you could do this yourself. This is in
> > essence what an ePub is. It might be worth a consideration for Scribus
> > to have the capability of unzipping such a file. It can gzip an .sla
> > file. Perhaps a 2-step process of Collect for Output, then zip. I
> > wonder if a script might be written to do this zipping....
> >
> > The problem with saving images in .sla files is the size. You might
> > have a multi-MB file for one picture, and some Scribus projects have
> > dozens or hundreds of pictures.
>
> Of course, creating a zip file by yourself is no problem. It just comes
> down to lazyness: Do I want to manually zip and unzip a file every time
> bevor I use it? Even a script is not really convenient.
>
> It is *much* more convenient if this could be done by Scribus in the
> background, just as it is done with .odt or .docx files. If speed/size
> is an issue, you could always give the option to save it the current
> way, uncompressed and in a folder.

In 1.5svn you can already choose to embed a raster file in a SLA file via the context menu (no fonts and profiles yet, though), and vector files are being converted to Scribus data structures anyway.

As to zipped or gzipped files, we're currently tinkering with a simple, stripped-down version of ODF (without the bloat) for resources, and I think it may be worth considering as to how we can expand this to Scribus documents, but let's do first things first.

Christoph