[scribus] question

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Fri Aug 23 09:36:03 UTC 2013

Am 22.08.2013 20:04, schrieb John Jason Jordan:
> On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 19:17:44 +0200
> Thorsten Rochelmeyer <thr-news at rochelmeyer.com> dijo:
>
>> Am 21.08.2013 08:46, schrieb Alenka Bertok:
>>> The problem is that when I insert photos in the document it records
>>> the place where the photo is on my computer. If I change the place
>>> of the photo on my computer, the photo disappears from my document
>>> in scribus. Is there any way to cancel that scribus remember the way
>>> of the photo, so that I can change the place where it is saved?
>
>> Not exactly an answer to your question but maybe an idea for further
>> developement: There was an older Version of Corel Draw (i believe it
>> was, but not that sure) that offered the option to do an automated
>> search if an image was missing or if the file had been moved. Available
>> via right mouseclick and "Find missing image ..." or something like
>> that. Would be a nice to have feature for upcoming versions of Scribus.
>
> Yes, a lot of other layout applications have such a feature.
>
> However, I have never needed it because I found a long time ago that
> there is a better way to arrange my work so I never have a problem with
> missing images. When I start a Scribus project I create a folder for
> it, and within that folder another folder labeled "Images." All the
> pics for that project go in there. If I re-use an image in another
> project I place a copy of the image in the new project's Images folder.
> Disk space is cheap these days.

It might be worth a thought if this couldn't be made by Scribus directly
by simply making a directory by the project's name and storing the
single .sla file within, and making a sub directory by the name of
"Images" or whatever for this very document. (The programming IDEs do it
this way, for instance.) The name actually given to the sub-dir might be
user-defined, so you could change it to your liking if you mind the
default name.

- Whenever you "load" a picture into a picture box from some place on
the HD, the file is copied into this directory.

- Whenever you click "edit picture", this copy's link is sent to the
mime-linked app.

- More sub-dirs could be added for scripts and stuff.

As a DTP program actually is a collector of readily made-up bits, this
would underline it. I would, however, not go as far as packing this
structure into an archive, such as the XML for OOo does it. The user
should still have easy access to the single elements.

Just my two cents...

Rolf