[scribus] Version 1.5 for windows

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Sat Aug 3 08:21:09 UTC 2013

> Gesendet: Freitag, 02. August 2013 um 11:52 Uhr
> Von: "John Beardmore" <John at T4sLtd.co.uk>
> An: scribus at lists.scribus.net
> Betreff: Re: [scribus] Version 1.5 for windows
>
> On 01/08/2013 20:30, Jeffrey Merrow wrote:
>
> > I doubt that this script was tested FOR WINDOWS.
>
> :)
>
> John did say "set up a small Linux partition".
>
> Yes, no doubt I could build it on Linux if I got all the right versions
> of Qt etc. We have a Linux server and a myriad of Rasperry Pis doing
> various things. Despite our love of Linux however, most of our document
> preparation happens on wintel laptops. Doing this stuff over broadband
> with xrdp doesn't sound like a good plan though. And come to think of
> it, the server is running Fedora 14, so getting the right version of Qt
> etc might be interesting.
>
> I was putting the latest Fedora on an old laptop that's got a gig of RAM
> (hardly enough for Fedora), but I'd much rather use Scribus on my
> windows 7 laptop which has 8 gig.
>
> I guess I'll probably just have to wait until 1.5 is released, but I
> wouldn't have minded trying it before hand given all the good things
> people are saying about it.

1.5 will be the perfect opportunity for you and everyone else to test all the new goodies. It won't be a release labelled as "stable", but rather something for a broad audience to test (and for those who are porting Scribus to test and enable building).

For the time being, for building software from source without too many headaches, a modern, mainstream and up-to-date Linux distro is the way to go for you. On a fast PC with Win 7 as the base system, I can compile 1.5svn from a fresh svn checkout in about 20 minutes or less on Linux in a virtual machine (VirtualBox).

Christoph