[scribus] Working with 1bit black & white line art

Erich Dollansky erich.lists at ovitrap.com
Mon Sep 24 02:37:34 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 19:19:49 -0400
Martin Patenaude-Monette <mpatenaudemonette at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Stefan and Ale for your answer. Unfortunately, I've already
> tried all the possible compression settings. As I said, the problem
> seems to happen at the importation of the picture (see
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=11029). I've tried saving my file
> in tiff, png, psd... all with indexed color. But Scribus seems to
> convert the files in greyscale all the time.

Greyscale itself cannot be the source of the problem if white is
converted to 0xFF and black is converted to 0.00. Using greyscale makes
the file larger but should not change 'colours' here.

I have the same problem since I use scribus and use colour printers for
output. Are you sure that it happens during the import? I have made
last week a PDF with black and white scans of drawings. Of course, the
scans were either been taken as 1 bit scans or have been converted
afterwards. If I look at the PDF on screen, nothing seems to be wrong
with them. But the print of the same file looks horrible.

I must add here that my part of the work was all done on FreeBSD 10.0
while the print was done on some Windows machine using some Canon
inkjet.

As I never printed these files directly from a FreeBSD machine, I can
only tell that the prints looked since 2007 as you described it. I have
the feeling that the latest prints are the worst ever despite that the
images have been exported with a resolution of 1200dpi.

With other words, I am not too sure if the fault is on scribus' side.

What experience do others have here?

Erich