[scribus] Scribus 1.4.1 on Windows XP

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Sep 6 01:31:49 UTC 2012

On 09/05/2012 05:26 PM, Richard Hall wrote:
> This might be a bug, it might be a user interface question, or it
> might be due to Scribus running under Windows.
>
> In a text frame, if I hold down [Shift] and use the cursor keys; [Up],
> [Down], [Left], [Right], [Page Up], [Page Down], [Home], or [End]; as
> expected, text in the frame is selected. Now if I bring down the
> <Edit> top level menu item, <Cut> is enabled, again as expected.
>
> Starting over; I hold down [Shift] and click somewhere in the same
> text frame, as expected, text in the frame is selected. But, if I
> bring down the <Edit> top level menu item, <Cut> is NOT enabled. This
> is not what I would expect.
>
> How is this piece of selected text any different from a piece of text
> selected a different way?
>
> I do all of my work on Windows systems. I have no experience working
> on a Mac or on a unix box. Thus my idea of a "good user interface" is
> Windows-centric.
>
> So is the problem:
> the Windows paradigm,
> the Windows version of Scribus 1.4.1,
> a Sribus 1.4.1 bug,
> or me not understanding the way Scribus is supposed to work?

I don't know. I just tried this on Win 7 and I can't reproduce your
problem. Not sure why you would be holding down shift then using the
mouse, but it worked fine for me, either with click-drag or multiple
clicks to highlight variably sized areas. I even used Edit > Cut to make
sure it did indeed cut the selected text.

Greg