[scribus] Scribus 1.4.1 on Windows XP

Richard Hall richardphall at comcast.net
Wed Sep 5 21:26:05 UTC 2012

This might be a bug, it might be a user interface question, or it might
be due to Scribus running under Windows.

In a text frame, if I hold down [Shift] and use the cursor keys; [Up],
[Down], [Left], [Right], [Page Up], [Page Down], [Home], or [End]; as
expected, text in the frame is selected. Now if I bring down the <Edit>
top level menu item, <Cut> is enabled, again as expected.

Starting over; I hold down [Shift] and click somewhere in the same text
frame, as expected, text in the frame is selected. But, if I bring down
the <Edit> top level menu item, <Cut> is NOT enabled. This is not what I
would expect.

How is this piece of selected text any different from a piece of text
selected a different way?

I do all of my work on Windows systems. I have no experience working on
a Mac or on a unix box. Thus my idea of a "good user interface" is
Windows-centric.

So is the problem:
the Windows paradigm,
the Windows version of Scribus 1.4.1,
a Sribus 1.4.1 bug,
or me not understanding the way Scribus is supposed to work?

I've been using Scribus for several years and have been very pleased
with the improvement of version 1.4 over 1.3.
This is one of the few quibbles I could bring up.

Rick Hall