[scribus] Scribus export PDF/X-1a 2001 -> direct to LSI (perfect)

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Sat Sep 1 06:02:54 UTC 2012

Hi Richard,

Let me add a few remarks.

> It's absolutely a Scribus success story, and I've documented it here:
>

> http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Success_stories#The_World_Naked_Bike_Ride_Book_.28160_pages_and_250_full_colour_photographs.29

Given a discussion we had on this list a few years ago, a discussion centered around a tutorial that involved images of ancient Indian statues that displayed (horror of horrors) bare female breasts, i.e., one of the most natural characteristics shared by all female mammals on earth, I wonder if we have to add an "X-Rated" warning to the wiki front page now ;)

On a more serious note, looking at the picture of the book, I noticed that you didn't apply hyphenation to your text frames, which leaves some ugly holes in the text -- something to consider for the next edition.

> LSI accepted the exported PDF/X-1a without complaint, all colours are
> printed
> fine, on the full colour cover, as well as throughout the entire book
> which
> includes 250 photographs, logos, posters and images. For more details of
> the
> actual process, you can about the entire process here:
>
>     http://www.naktiv.net/books/wnbr/publishing.html

Since you're using OpenSUSE, you don't have to download the profiles from Adobe's or anyone else's website, as collections of all relevant ICC profiles are available for download and/or 1-click install via OpenSUSE's website (and not just for Novell/SUSE or OpenSUSE, but other distros as well).

"In both cases, the resulting PDF will probably appear dark and contrasty, this seems to be a feature of PDF/X-1a:2011."

Not really. You need to adjust your monitor settings, activate colour management and also activate print emulation on screen (as described in the Online Manual) to have a more realistic preview of the print result.

Finally, thanks for mentioning pdf-preflight. This looks very interesting. Maybe we can find someone (GSoC 2013?) to integrate the library, or parts of it, because pre-flight profiles (and most certainly PDF/X profiles) are becoming increasingly important in the printing industry. InDesign already supports preflight profiles, afaik.

Cheers,

Christoph