[scribus] layout software...scribus or Tex?

Johan Vromans jvromans at squirrel.nl
Mon Nov 26 21:21:52 UTC 2012

john Culleton <John at wexfordpress.com> writes:

> The advantages of TeX include easy inclusion of running headers,
> and more automated handling of one or more TOCs, indexes, chapter
> heads, footnotes, bibliographies and so on. TeX lays out even
> margin justification of paragraphs better than any other program
> except InDesign which copied the TeX code design in this area.

You should, however, be aware that the learning curve is steep, and it
could cost a lot of energy to get the layout exactly as desired. I would
definitely advice not to start with an ambitious project like a 100 page
book... Start with small documents, use existing layouts (styles).
Create your own layouts, try to get them the way you want it. You will
know when you are ready to go for the book.

-- Johan
   more than 25 years of TeX experience, and a happy scribus user.