[scribus] active links while editing a scribus document

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Mon Nov 26 14:45:06 UTC 2012

hi,

yesterday, franz has done a change to the preview mode that, in my eyes,
should first be discussed by the scribus users.

"""
r17909 by fschmid - First committ to make the "Preview Mode" look more
like in other Applications

First committ to make the "Preview Mode" look more like in other Applications
- No more editing possible.
- PDF Links linking to the same document are working now when activated.

http://lists.scribus.net/pipermail/scribus-commit/2012-November/005391.html
"""

on the one side it is certainly useful to have a way to test the pdf
forms in scribus, but -- on the other side -- i'm not sure that
disabling the editing in preview mode is a change that will please
everybody.

some issues i'm aware of:

- switching the preview mode on and off can be very slow (so people may
want to stay in preview mode while doing visual tweaks).

- the canvas can be very cluttered, and one may want to switch to the
preview mode to do further changes without being disturbed by guides,
invisible frame borders & co.

- we already have other links that work in the edit mode (footnotes) and
will have more of them in the future (TOC, references, ...): shouldn't
pdf links work just like the other references?

i would be interested in hearing what the scribus users think: do you
need the editing capabilities while being in preview mode?

ciao
a.l.e