[scribus] flatten info in pdf

Nicola Griffin nickigriffin at mac.com
Wed Nov 14 11:54:09 UTC 2012

Dear list

This is my first posting.

I've been using Scribus for the last couple of months to create a 28-page magazine. I'm now sending it for a trial print, but have a problem with transparencies. I need to be able to flatten the information in the pdf to ensure the transparencies print as expected. My printer recommends exporting the file as a PDFx1a but this choice is not available when I export to PDF. I've been exporting as PDF 1.4 (Acrobat 5). The transparencies show up ok when I view the document in Adobe Reader.

I'm using a Mac with Scribus 1.4.1. I've tried the suggestion in the Scribus Wiki to use Adobe Reader to create a flattened PostScript file via the Print dialog but Reader does not allow this. The newer version of Reader doesn't seem to have this option at all.

I'm at the stage of abandoning transparencies altogether as being too unpredictable so this is a last shot.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Nicki