[scribus] Build Version Ascertainable?

John L. Poole jlpoole56 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 01:00:00 UTC 2012

Hi Owen,

Unfortunately, in Gentoo when following the Head version, svn is updated
at each "emerge" attempt.  Also, the build tree is temporary, and if
successful, erased leaving only the compiled binaries and files to be
staged for the production use. Consequently, when I last successfully
built Scribus, e.g. 9/10/12, I only have a date and time stamp.  When I
subsequently attempt to update and build off of the Head as of today,
the staging area is updated to current.  I thus only have the date time
build of the binaries to determine what version it may be based on.
I've done that and if there is not a lot of activity, for example an
update every few days, then I can probably hit the precise version by
looking at a time line.

Seems to me having a Subversion keyword $Id$ incorporated into the code
that populates a variables that, in turn, would be displayed on the
"About" window could be helpful and allow a use to determine exactly
what version they are running off of.

I may take your suggestion (and mine using $Id$) and build a macro that
automatically creates what I'm suggesting.  I'm just not a C++
programmer and would be wearing my hacking hat.

Cheers,

John

--
Email Rider