[scribus] Build Version Ascertainable?

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sun Nov 11 14:08:45 UTC 2012

On 11/11/2012 08:57 AM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 11/11/2012 04:41 AM, ale rimoldi wrote:
>> hi john,
>>
>>> I've been building Scribus from the high watermark of SVN (1.5) and
>>> need to determine what version my currently running edition is from.
>>> Using Help-About does not provide me the Subversion version and gives
>>> me a date of "1 August 2012" when my system notes I built it 18:33:17
>>> 09/10/12 PDT.
>>>
>>> Is the Subversion version which Scribus is built from ascertainable
>>> from a running instance?  If not, is there a file is the staged tree
>>> that might reflect it?  I built Scribus using Gentoo's portage
>>> facility which basically pulls whatever is HEAD at the time I
>>> update.  In this case, I think I last successfully built on 18:33:17
>>> 09/10/12 PDT.  I'm going to go look at the Subversion repository (I
>>> hope there is a websvn (http://websvn.tigris.org/) interface) and
>>> determine what version was HEAD around that time.
>>>
>>> It seems to me having a Subversion version and date included in the
>>> About box might be helpful.
>>
>> this has been discussed a few times already, but (afaik) nobody brought
>> a usable solution.
>>
>> another useful feature, would be to add the git branch, for the ones
>> who compile from gif.
>>

> if you run 'svn info', you can get something like this:

> Repository Root: svn://scribus.net
> Repository UUID: 11d20701-8431-0410-a711-e3c959e3b870
> Revision: 17869
> Node Kind: directory
> Schedule: normal
> Last Changed Author: jghali
> Last Changed Rev: 17867
> Last Changed Date: 2012-11-10 09:50:34 -0500 (Sat, 10 Nov 2012)
>
> so if someone is using svn, this might be the quickest way.

Thinking about this a bit, I think it might not be so difficult to write
a command with an alias, or maybe a short shell script, which would run
'svn info', then put the results into the docs (with a few html tags?)
so that it could be accessible from the online manual.

Plan B might be to save as a small python script that brings up a
message box with the info when the script is run. I sort of like this
from an intellectual challenge point-of-view.

Plan C++ would be to code this into the svn download, so that make does
the above work.

Greg