[scribus] eBooks on Scribus

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Nov 1 13:55:19 UTC 2012

On 11/01/2012 08:55 AM, Murray Strome wrote:
> --- On Thu, 11/1/12, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 10/31/2012 06:35 PM, Bruce Gatten wrote:
>> Can I publish an eBook with Scribus?
>>
> we may get there some day, but so far not.
> There are other better choices for creating an eBook if that is your
> goal. You could try Sigil for one.
>
> Greg
> To create E-Books, I create a PDF document with Scribus, then convert it to E-Pub with Calibre, which is free, open software available for LINUX, Windows and Mac:
> http://calibre-ebook.com/
>
> There are also free online services which will convert PDF to E-Book format.
>
> Since these excellent free methods for converting from PDF (and many other formats as well, such as Kindle) to eBook format exist, I think the Scribus developers should concentrate on continuing to improve Scribus core features rather than creating new output formats.
>         ----Just my opinion.

I would tend to agree with this. Currently, there is a lot of
competition out there in the creating eBooks space, and some of it is
pretty good.

As far as PDFs, there is also competition, but not at the quality level
of Scribus. So we can easily convert DOC files, and ePub, and whatnot to
PDFs, but they're really not on a par with what can be accomplished with
Scribus.

I do think it's worthwhile for Scribus to be able to either export an
ePub of some quality, as long as it's easy, or perhaps have some way of
collecting the materials from an SLA file for reassembly as an eBook.

Greg