[scribus] The World Naked Bike Ride book wants to thank the Scribus team!

Richard Foley rich.inud at naktiv.net
Sun May 27 07:41:21 UTC 2012

I'd like to thank everyone who helps make Scribus possible. I've just
released/published my first book with Scribus, (having already written several
books with publishers who do their own DTP). Although there were one or two
issues; non-simple image captioning and PDF compliance for LSI, etc., overall
the program did exactly what it says on the tin.

    http://www.naktiv.net/wnbr/publishing.html

This page, also linked from the book site (below), describes some of my
experience, with both Scribus and with LSI as the printer, and I hope this
helps other people to use this excellent tool and this pioneering printer.
Apart from the very last stage of PDF compliance, the entire project was
completed using open-source tools; gvim, the Gimp, ImageMagick, Scribus, all
running on SuSe Linux. If this helps to push the envelope still further with
self-publishing under open-source, this can only be a good thing.

This World Naked Bike Ride book describes the annual environmental awareness
event, and has 160 pages including text and 250 full colour photographs and
images. It's a small package with lot of content. Bringing this all together
for publication, using Scribus, was an absolute joy. The actual day-to-day
usage was (helpfully) intuitive and (critically) robust. I'm really looking
forward to creating another book using Scribus in the near future. Anyone who
would like to see the book itself, can find the main page here:

    http://www.naktiv.net/wnbr

Thank you!

--
Ciao