[scribus] PDF Colour separations

Frank Cox melville.theatre at gmail.com
Wed May 23 18:24:39 UTC 2012

On Wed, 23 May 2012 19:18:30 +0200
Flem wrote:

> I don't get how you print your plates? Do you have to go
> wiyh a PDF file or can't you directly print the plate with
> the ps file?

I have to impose the pages to get them onto the plates.

> What kind of RIP are you using?

I do the whole thing (imposition and RIP) with ghostscript, pdftk, psnup and
ps2pdf, plus a little driver program that I wrote to count pages and do the
donkey work.

> Apart from that, have you tried to outline all these poor
> fonts? Maybe GhostScript wouldn't blow up then?

I was just discussing that option with the folks who lay out the paper.  They
said that while it's something that they could do if they really have to, it
really slows Scribus down.

Since the only colour is on the front page, I'm thinking about a scheme to do
the plate layout in two pieces, the front page and everything else.  Then I just
have to attach the front page to the back page on a plate layout at the end of
the process.