[scribus] spellcheck

Craig Bradney cbradney at scribus.info
Sat May 19 20:24:01 UTC 2012

On 5/19/12 9:37 PM, John Beardmore wrote:
> On 19/05/2012 19:54, Jean Ghali wrote:
>> Le 19/05/2012 20:41, John Beardmore a écrit :
>
>>> Does 'resolved' mean it will work under windows ?
>>
>> Yes, also... Contrary to aspell, hunspell is fully supported on Windows.
>
> Yeeeee Haaaa !
>
> After all these years !!   (User since 1.3.3.9)
>
> One of the bleats I've had from people who are probably just too idle to learn Scribus is that 'it
> doesn't even have a spelling checker' !

Which was incorrect, at least, it did, but just not on Windows :)

> I think this was pretty much the last key feature that was missing. Plenty of bugs to fix and many
> wonderful things can still be added of course, but thank you so much for sorting this !
>
> Is there a windows installer for 1.4.2 yet ?

No because we haven't released 1.4.2 yet.

> Is Hunspell the same spell checker as Open Office uses ?  If so, will it share the same dictionaries ?

Yes, it uses the same dictionary format. I am working on a downloader so people don't have to
install OO.org/LO to get the dictionaries though, as I have no intention of including them in SVN.

Scribus looks for them already in default locations on Linux, Windows and OSX. The spell checker
functionality currently covers the aspell functionality (and fixes quite a few bugs) and adds
checking to Story Editor.

Craig