[scribus] Making holes in an image

Johan Vromans jvromans at squirrel.nl
Mon May 14 10:54:17 UTC 2012

Yesterday I ran into this challenge and I wondered whether this is
possible with Scribus.

Given a document with a background image.

The document contains an image frame holding (another) image.

Scribus provides a bunch of interesting shapes to draw. In this case, I
used one of the jigsaw figures.

The challenge: cut a hole in the image in the form of the jigsaw figure,
so that the background image is visible though the hole.

I tried to cut the hole in GIMP, but GIMP doesn't have such nice shapes
as Scribus. I could export the Scribus' jigsaw figure and manipulate it
into a path in GIMP so I can cut it out, but that's a lot of work (and I
have several images and several distinct jogsaw pieces).

So... can this be done with Scribus?

An example (done with GIMP and a much simpler shape) can be found on
http://www.squirrel.nl/pub/xfer/uploads/3C_Fa3_Tt9_DLSB0NjNwZ8ew.png

-- Johan