[scribus] Limit to number of layers?

Cat catsoul at thinkplan.org
Sat Mar 31 23:14:03 UTC 2012

On Mar 31, 2012, at 4:04 PM, Gregory Pittman wrote:

> Hi dcat,
>
> I hope you can understand that this list is populated by a collection of people, some developers, but mostly just a number of people interested in Scribus and various aspects of DTP. You have already experienced that some have strong opinions, but I guess you do too, so it seems you should be in familiar company.
>
> The important thing is not to assume that feedback you necessarily represents some official position that the Scribus Team has.

I make no assumption either way. the only "official" Scribus channel I'm aware of is the bug reports site. My position, IMHO, is one not of "strong opinions" but of having a significant amount of experience doing the kinds of things that Scribus was ostensibly created for.

But I did notice, pretty much right off, people getting sensitive about the concept of using layers, or using "too many layers" and the ideas put forth by them seem to me to be fueled by a lack of experience in how the greater design world does things.

Not only that, but these feelings took the thread away from its original meaning and purpose, which was to ask whether Scribus itself, as a software application, has a limitation as to how many layers it can handle. This is no huge concept. Many programs have limitations as to how many whatevers they can handle.

yet, that posting inspired some to get upset about the use of layers, asking why anybody would use them, then getting cranky after very clear explanations of layers' use were offered by several people, including myself.

So, my position as an experience person, seeing what seem like less experienced, getting cranky because their understanding of how things are done is challenged, tells me that there's a "Scribus way" valued by some people.

That's cool. But it is rigid and prevents productive discussion. I'm not about to wrangle with that. Let people have their understandings that make them comfortable.

However, I can guarantee you that if that status quo feeling is protected and maintained, you will not likely get much new blood in the form of "experienced graphic designers giving input."

Open source needs to include "open discussion" as well. And that means people sharing ideas and giving constructive input without having their methods being corrected by those who know only the Scribus way of doing things.

Respectfully,

dcat