[scribus] Limit to number of layers?

Cat catsoul at thinkplan.org
Sat Mar 31 21:46:41 UTC 2012

On Mar 31, 2012, at 1:13 PM, ale rimoldi wrote:

> ... but, sadly enough, layer are the only available workaround that is
> available to the broad public!
>
> so, since the alternatives are lacking, it's imo ok to use layers for
> it, but it would be wonderful if somebody would specify a better way of
> working!

Not clear where you're headed with that, ale...Layers aren't so great, but yet they are, since the alternative offerings are anemic or not well documented?

I could get behind a nodes-based tool if it gets me where I want to go. However, "Layers" enjoy one advantage in that they are, far and wide, the metaphor/paradigm/technology that all serious graphics apps employ...commercial and open source...

I would cite Gimp, Inkscape and Blender 3D and exemplars of the latter category. Blender uses nodes-based shader technology in addition to the more old-school texturing methods. But blender also has a very nice implementation of "Layers" as we all know them. And it goes one further by enabling objects to  be on more than 1 layer at a time. Very cool.

If I have a mo, I'll happily give Scribus nodes method a look-see.

Thank you for mentioning it...hadn't even known it existed before you did.

Cheers!

dcat