[scribus] Limit to number of layers?

Cat catsoul at thinkplan.org
Thu Mar 29 15:55:46 UTC 2012

On Mar 28, 2012, at 10:09 PM, Peter Nermander wrote:

> But maybe I'm misunderstanding the amount of layers discussed? I have
> never heard anyone complaining about Scribus having problems with a
> dozen of layers so I assumed we were talking about like 50+ layers?

In my work in ad agencies and marketing firms I have both encountered and created documents of many layers - on the order of 50 or more. I find it more common to have that number of layers in photoshop and illustrator, but I've had Quark and InDesign files containing many layers...easily 12 or more, some of them.

I'm going to suggest, with respect, that a non-understanding of layers' uses or the need for making "too many" layers is a function of lack of exposure to environments in which many-layered documents are de rigeur, or absolutely necessary.

What you have to realize about layers is that they are created out of need. Nobody creates layers willy-nilly or because they think "gee, I'll make 15 layers here."  Layers are created when the control they offer over editing, viewing or printing is needed.  Simple as that.

If you were creating documents with many versions and didn't use layers you would be singin' the blues, I guarantee you. To accomplish what layers can do without using layers would have you running ragged, creating multiple documents, keeping them all straight, hoping that you sent the right one to the color laser printer, this one to PDF, that one for client approval.

Now, if you're Susie or Joe and you do the company newsletter, 1 layer is probably all you'll ever need. If you use Scribus to produce ads, well, maybe 2 or 3 layers is plenty, but if you ARE doing ads, and you have clients nosing around wanting to see what it looks like with this photo or that, or how about different colors and they want to see them snippy-snappy....

...you would RUN into the loving arms of many-layered documents.

HTH

dcat