[scribus] Limit to number of layers?

Flem flemblog at free.fr
Wed Mar 28 19:46:53 UTC 2012

Hi everyone !

First appearance in this very interesting list.  :)

I perfectly agree with the fact that layers are *very* usefull.

Le 28/03/2012 20:56, Cat a écrit :
> On Mar 27, 2012, at 10:01 PM, Peter Nermander wrote:
>
>> Could you give some examples on how you use layers? Because I think
>> you are using layers for things you don't have to use layers for
>> (because if you combine layers, if was probably never necessary to
>> create them from the beginning).

I'll give you an example :
I'm actually working during my day job (with InDesign) on
stickers for a range of Bio soaps with various fragrances
and compositions.

During the creation phase, one needs to give various choices
to the client: some logo put in one or another place,
different color options.
Here layers are the only way to organise and sort all the
proposals and to show or hide them to your interlocutor's view.

After having created one first sticker, let's say the
Lavender one, I have to change it's primary color and some
texts to create the other fragrances of the range.

In that case all my color items are on one layer, so I can
change them in a click, texts are on another one.

I also have a specific layer to hide bleeds so the client
can see the final cut result of his product.

As long as a product is not finalized, layers are
indispensable in the way they help you to react easily and
rapidly to the various wishes of your client... and God
knows how these ones can be endless!   :)

Last word about layers on Scribus: I really miss the ability
to select items through layers.
When you're working with layer you have to move and rescale
all of your document items in one action.
This is not possible in Scribus... you have to proceed one
layer after the other and it is very slow and frustrating.

In the same time I don't understand the use of the lock on
each layer as you cannot select items across layers ?

Hope this helps.

Anyway, Scribus is still an awsome product and thanx to all
deveploppers for that.

Keep improving it!

--
Flem