[scribus] Justification (mainly)

Thor Ewing thor at historicalarts.co.uk
Mon Mar 5 10:18:45 UTC 2012

From: Gregory Pittman
Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 3:04 PM

> On 03/04/2012 04:18 AM, Thor Ewing wrote:
> > Dear Listmembers,
> >
> > Less drastic for me as a user, but still rather irritating is that when
> > I “Get text” from HTML, it randomly omits some characters and white
> > spaces. I suspect that this might be a bug, but there could be another
> > explanation.
> >

> Not sure what ends up missing, but Scribus doesn't handle all HTML tags
> well, so perhaps there were some characters lost because of that.
>
> It usually can manage bold, strong, and italics, sometimes certain font
> characteristics, but I wouldn't advise importing from HTML on a regular
> basis. You might do better to import to Open Office and converting there
> before importing to Scribus.
>
> Greg

Hi Greg

I've been working with a document which was prepared in Word 2003. I'm now
working with Word 2007.
When I get text from Word formats (DOC or DOCX) it loses all formatting, so
I tried saving it as an HTML file. It keeps the italics nicely, but loses
occasional white spaces between words. I've looked at the source code and
can't see anything odd about the lost spaces.
I've also tried saving the document as an Open Office file from Word 2007 (I
haven't tried installing Open Office) but it still comes up without
formatting.

My document has a lot of foreign words in italics and it's a pain to format
it all again, so I'd like to do it automatically if possible. But it's also
a pain if I have to go through and add in new white spaces.

Thanks for your advice.

Best wishes,
Thor