[scribus] External manipulation of a Scribus template

Aleksander Kujbida akujbida at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 07:37:20 UTC 2012

I like a.I.e's perspective (because it's mine too!), but I don't know how
much demand there might be. If you look at how much COM programming is
happening to build MS Office documents via web interfaces, I would suggest
that it is at least investigating.

I have realized that the source files of Scribus docs are just XML, and so
any program can create and manipulate Scribus docs: this is trivial (in
concept; the practice can be a fair bit of effort, as we can see with
products like PHPWord). Like many others, I programmatically edit MS Word
and MS Excel XML files regularly.

The missing link in this approach is printing: ultimately, nobody wants a
Scribus file, they want a PDF or hardcopy, or whatever (same is true for
Word, AutoCAD, etc). Any script or program can create a Scribus doc, or
more likely case edit a template, but only Scribus knows how to convert the
file into something viewable.

The BIG question: Can Scribus to read a Scribus document and output a PDF
(say), without having to open Scribus into a GUI?

Regards